úterý 22. prosince 2009

Simple ICQ Export script

Recently my girlfriend finally decided to stop using the original ICQ program, which she retained mostly because of the unimaginable loss of conversation history. Quick search did not reveal any good and simple means to convert the history data. Most of the software was outdated or for different versions.

We had two versions of history files - one was directory with XML files and the other seems to be Access mdb (created by ICQ version 6 I think). To sharpen my Python skills (which at the time being is a bit like trying to sharpen a club), I decided to write simple conversion script for the XML history files.

The script is published on http://code.google.com/p/icqexport/. For convenience, I have also prepared Windows build http://icqexport.googlecode.com/files/icqexport_01.zip. You are free to do anything with the script and welcome to send me notes and suggestions.

The usage is very simple, although nothing is guaranteed :) Copy the script to the directory where ICQ history files are stored and run it. It will traverse all subdirectories and convert history XML files to one readable TXT file.

The only version supported is 0x00140034 (tested on ICQ version 5.1). You're fine if there's something like this at the beginning of your files:

<root>
<version>0x00140034</version>
<event>
...

I didn't see the mdb structure yet but if I will get to it, I'll keep you informed.

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat